I am a customs lawyer in the United States and, because of that, only deal with customs money seizures when they happen in the United States. Although I do travel through Europe every year I am not licensed to practice in any country of the European Union. So, it was interesting for me to read a recent New York Times story about customs money seizures in Europe. I really recommend reading the whole article at nytimes.com, callled European Borders Tested as Money Is Moved to Shield Wealth, as it has lots of amusing anecdotes about the people who were caught by European customs agents smuggling cash and getting their money seized.
Customs money seizures are on the rise in France, Spain and Italy. The article essentially says that the rise in customs money seizures in Europe is a result of several factors. First, people are moving money to hide evade higher taxes in some countries; second, tightening rules at Swiss banks, and third, “rising use of cash by fraudsters, including criminal networks and tax evaders”.
Do read the article: European Borders Tested as Money Is Moved to Shield Wealth.
If you have had cash seized by customs and are contemplating what to do next, please make use of the other information available on this website or call our office at (734) 855-4999 or e-mail us through our contact page. We are able to assist with cash seized by customs around the country, including Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles, Orlando and many other places, and not just locally in Detroit.
Please read these other articles:
- Seizure of currency and monetary instruments by U.S. Customs
- Seizure for bulk cash smuggling into or out of the U.S.
- Structuring currency imports and exports
- Is it $10,000 per person? Under what circumstances is filing a report with Customs for transporting more than $10,000 required?
- Criminal & civil penalties for failing to report monetary instrument transportation
- Is only cash currency subject to seizure by Customs?
- Responding to a Customs currency seizure
- How do I get my seized money back?
- Getting money seized by U.S. Customs back while staying overseas
- How long does it take Customs to decide a petition for a currency/monetary instrument seizure?