U.S. Customs seized around $230,000 of currency – all suspected counterfeit – that came in a package from Peru to Miami Airport. The fully story is HERE.
On July 23, CBP officers selected the package for an intensive examination and observed several densities in an unusual pattern on the X-ray screen. CBP officers opened the packaged and discovered various cushions including some with unusual densities.
Officers X-rayed the cushions individually and confirmed the densities. CBP officers then cut open the cushions and found a total of eleven sets of plastic covers taped together. CBP opened the covers and found a total of $228,100 in suspected counterfeit U. S. currency.
CBP observed that the bills were of poor quality and closer scrutiny questioned their validity. CBP notified the U.S. Secret Service and the bills were determined to be counterfeit. CBP seized the counterfeit currency and turned it over to the U.S. Secret Service for further investigation.
Hopefully the currency customs seized from you is real so you have a chance to get it back.
If you have had currency seized from Customs do not try to respond yourself but hire our firm, because we know what we are doing and have successfully handled many cases like yours. If you have questions, please give us a call at (734) 855-4999. We are able to assist with cash seized by customs around the country, including Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles, Orlando and many other places, and not just locally in Detroit. Please read these other articles:
- Seizure of currency and monetary instruments by U.S. Customs
- Seizure for bulk cash smuggling into or out of the U.S.
- Structuring currency imports and exports
- Is it $10,000 per person? Under what circumstances is filing a report with Customs for transporting more than $10,000 required?
- Criminal & civil penalties for failing to report monetary instrument transportation
- Is only cash currency subject to seizure by Customs?
- Responding to a Customs currency seizure
- How do I get my seized money back?
- Getting money seized by U.S. Customs back while staying overseas
- How long does it take Customs to decide a petition for a currency/monetary instrument seizure?
- Statute of Limitations for Currency Reporting Violations
- Filing a Petition for Seized Currency (with Sample and Tips) with CBP
- Don’t Talk About Your Customs Currency Seizure Case