U.S. Customs and Border Protection made a brief news release discussing a variety of enforcement actions, which contained a little blurb about seizing $14,029. No mention if the person involved was arrested, but it appears they probably were not. It’s apparently not big enough news for Customs to merit more than a passing mention, but you can bet its big news to the person whose money was confiscated. Are you similarly situated? You can read our popular page on Responding to a Customs Money Seizure HERE.
SANTA TERESA, N.M. — U.S. Customs and Border Protection Office of Field Operation officers working at the Santa port of entry were busy Tuesday recording a wide variety of enforcement actions. CBP officers made two drug seizures, apprehend a fugitive, confiscated prohibited agriculture items and seized unreported currency.* * *
CBP officers working at the Santa Teresa port on Tuesday also apprehended one NCIC fugitive, seized $14,029 in unreported currency and assessed a $300 penalty against an individual who was transporting prohibited sausage and produce (apple and orange) across the border.
Of course, the government has 5 years to criminally charge them. Our customs law firm handles currency/money seizures made by customs in Detroit and around the country. If you have had money seized by Detroit CBP/customs call our office at (734) 855-4999 to speak to a lawyer, or e-mail us through our contact page (see our case results here). We are able to assist with cash seized by customs nationwide, including Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Orlando.
Please read these other articles about money seizures by customs:
- Seizure of currency and monetary instruments by U.S. Customs
- Seizure for bulk cash smuggling into or out of the U.S.
- Structuring currency imports and exports
- Is it $10,000 per person? Under what circumstances is filing a report with Customs for transporting more than $10,000 required?
- Criminal & civil penalties for failing to report monetary instrument transportation
- Is only cash currency subject to seizure by Customs?
- How do I get my seized money back from customs?
- Getting money seized by U.S. Customs back while staying overseas
- How long does it take Customs to decide a petition for a currency/monetary instrument seizure?
- Targeted Enforcement for Customs Money Seizures
- Statute of Limitations for Currency Reporting Violations