The Capital Gazette out of Baltimore reports that a customs seizure of cash occurred at Thurgood Marshall airport. It involved a Nigerian man who was transporting more than $42,700 with
him. The man initially reported possessing $5,000, but then admitted having $22,000; ultimately, he was found with more than $42,700. The original story is HERE.
A Nigerian citizen who arrived to BWI on a flight from London initially reported possessing $5,000. The traveler was referred to customs agents for a secondary inspection where he amended his declaration and completed a financial reporting form stating that he was in possession of some $22,000, according to a press release issued by the Department of Homeland Security.
Customs agents ultimately discovered more than $42,700 on his person and in his luggage. The money was seized and the man was advised on how to file a petition for the return of the currency.
If you have had currency seized from Customs do not try to respond yourself but hire our firm, because we know what we are doing and have successfully handled many cases like yours. If you have questions, please give us a call at (734) 855-4999. We are able to assist with cash seized by customs around the country, including Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles, Orlando and many other places, and not just locally in Detroit. Please read these other articles:
- Seizure of currency and monetary instruments by U.S. Customs
- Seizure for bulk cash smuggling into or out of the U.S.
- Structuring currency imports and exports
- Is it $10,000 per person? Under what circumstances is filing a report with Customs for transporting more than $10,000 required?
- Criminal & civil penalties for failing to report monetary instrument transportation
- Is only cash currency subject to seizure by Customs?
- Responding to a Customs currency seizure
- How do I get my seized money back?
- Getting money seized by U.S. Customs back while staying overseas
- How long does it take Customs to decide a petition for a currency/monetary instrument seizure?
- Statute of Limitations for Currency Reporting Violations
- Filing a Petition for Seized Currency (with Sample and Tips) with CBP
- Don’t Talk About Your Customs Currency Seizure Case