This is a customs money seizure news release trifecta, where customs is reporting about some failed cash smuggling attempts — that are headline as “unreported funds” cases. The two previous stories are here (involving over $2M seized) and here (involving a 74 year old man). Like those stories, this is more about smuggled currency rather than just “unreported funds,” which is a bulk cash smuggling violation. This is a little different than the usual customs money seizure case we handle, which is the seizuresof money at the airport by customs (you can read our popular page on Responding to a Customs Money Seizure HERE).
On to this story:
TUCSON, Ariz. – A 19-year-old man from Pasco, Washington was arrested Oct. 6 for attempting to smuggle nearly $240,000 in unreported U.S. currency into Mexico through the Port of Nogales.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers conducting outbound inspections at the Dennis DeConcini crossing selected a Jaguar . . . for further inspection and found the unreported money hidden beneath the trunk’s undercarriage.
Officers processed the vehicle and currency for seizure, and referred Rodriguez to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations.
If you have had cash seized by customs and are contemplating what to do next call our office at (734) 855-4999 to speak to a customs lawyer, or e-mail us through our contact page. We are able to assist with cash seized by customs around the country, including Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles, Orlando and many other places, and not just locally in Detroit.
Read these other articles about customs money seizures:
- Seizure of currency and monetary instruments by U.S. Customs
- Customs currency seizure for bulk cash smuggling into or out of the U.S.
- Customs currency seizure; Structuring currency imports and exports
- Is it $10,000 per person? Under what circumstances is filing a report with Customs for transporting more than $10,000 required?
- Criminal & civil penalties for failing to report monetary instrument transportation
- Is only cash currency subject to seizure by Customs?
- Getting money seized by U.S. Customs back while staying overseas
- How long does it take Customs to decide a petition for a currency/monetary instrument seizure?
- Customs currency seizure; Tuition Money Seized by Customs